Sunday, December 6, 2009

Island Hopping

This weekend I went “Island Hopping” around Hong Kong. On Saturday, I took a Ferry to Cheung Chau Island. Cheung Chau Island has been a fishing village since 1400’s and all day long the ports are busy with the comings and goings of the fishing boats. There were boats, fishermen, and tons and tons of dried and fresh fish everywhere (you can imagine how it smelt)! Overall, it was a relaxing day. I explored different walking paths and temples around the island and enjoyed watching the boats float along the island shores.

Then on Sunday I went to another fishing village on Lantau Island, called Tai O. Tai O is known as the “Venice of Hong Kong” – many of the houses are held up by wooden stilts and we watched as small fishing boats floated in and out of the canals surrounding the houses.

It is crazy how just a 30 to 40 minute ferry ride away from the bustling, high-class, business city of Hong Kong, are beautiful and peaceful islands, where the people live simple, quaint lives. And even though it is a week into December, the weather is still beautiful, sunny with a cool breeze – making the day perfect for a stroll along the Hong Kong island beaches and walking paths.

The countdown continues as I only have two more weeks left in Hong Kong – sure to be filled with studying for finals, visiting with friends, and exploring the last few places in Hong Kong that I still haven’t seen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment